So many people are curious about their cornea and how it actually functions. This is one of the main things people ask their eye doctor in Miami when they are coming in for a routine visit. As most people know, vision problems like nearsightedness or farsightedness are directly related to the cornea and its overall shape. The cornea’s job is to properly focus light so that it lands on the retina perfectly. If light lands a little before or after the retina because the cornea is misshapen, it is diagnosed as a vision problem that can usually be corrected with glasses or contacts. Your eye doctor in Miami Beach will be able to examine the shape of your cornea and determine if you have a visual issue based on their findings.
How the Cornea Works
In addition to properly focusing light onto the retina, the cornea has many other functions as well. If you ask your eye doctors in Miami about what all the cornea does, you are likely going to find out some interesting information.
● The cornea is comprised mainly of collagen, which is a protein that is very strong.
● The cornea is the first part of your eye that light passes through.
● Corneal dystrophy is a condition where substances other than collagen develop on the front of the eye, which can result in diminished eyesight. It’s normally hereditary.
● Keratitis is an inflammation of the cornea usually caused by an infection.
● The cornea protects the eye from dirt, dust, and other harmful particles.
Why Some People Have Vision Problems
There are millions of people who have to wear eyeglasses in Miami Beach or contacts so they can see, and this is all because of their cornea being shaped properly shaped. However, your eye doctor will tell you that the shape of a person’s cornea is hereditary. The cornea will not normally change shape over time, but there are other vision problems that people can deal with which aren’t caused by genetic factors. An abnormally shaped cornea is not something to worry about, though, as it can easily be corrected by being prescribed contacts or glasses.