An eye doctor in Miami Beach is often asked about concerns that people have regarding their eyes, and one of the biggest ones is becoming cross eyed. Most people have seen someone in their life that is permanently cross eyed, but this is not something that the person caused to happen. When you see someone with naturally crossed eyes, it’s because they are suffering from a medical condition known as strabismus. Many children develop this condition because they are very farsighted, which causes them to strain their eyes too much while trying to see. However, strabismus can be effectively treated in children who develop it. For adults, though, treating crossed eyes can be a bit more difficult. There are options that adults with crossed eyes can discuss with their eye doctor in Miami, though, but it will likely involve surgery.

Treating Crossed Eyes

Those who are worried about developing crossed eyes are likely those who are simply unaware of how this condition develops in the first place. If you are over the age of 16 and do not already have crossed eyes, then the chances of developing them at your age are slim to none. Here are things that a Miami Beach eye doctor will do to treat those with crossed eyes:

  • Prescribe glasses to help children stop straining their eyes and halt the development of strabismus.
  • Prescribe special patching treatments, where a child covers one eye for a set amount of time during the day.
  • Prescribe special prism glasses that prevent the eyes from turning too much in order to properly see.
  • Eye muscle surgery is the last resort option for people who have unsuccessfully tried other treatments in the past. However, eye surgery because of crossed eyes is rare.

How to Prevent Becoming Cross Eyed

If you are an adult already and do not have crossed eyes, then there’s little to no chance that you’re going to randomly develop this condition. Strabismus is only something that is going to affect children who are under the age of 12, though it can be effectively treated when it’s discovered. If you notice that your child is having difficulties seeing objects at a certain distance or is complaining of eye pains, then you need to take them to see your Miami optometrist as soon as possible. Your eye doctor can confirm if they are developing this condition and also take steps to prevent it from getting any worse.

photo credit: ANBerlin Eyes Color via photopin (license)

Originally posted 2017-04-22 21:28:19.