So many people are curious about the inner workings of their eye. In fact, one of the most common things people talk about with when they visit their eye doctor in Miami Beach is just how their eye actually works. For some people, learning more about how the eye is able to detect images and transmit them to their brain is very interesting. The eye is one of the smallest organs in the body, but it’s actually one of the most complex and some would say one of the most useful. The next time you visit your Miami eye doctor, be sure to ask them a little about just how your eye works so you can get a better understanding of this important part of your anatomy.
How the Eye Detects Images
There are many things the eye does in order to provide the brain with electrical signals that are made into images people can understand. Most of them happen simultaneously as well, or so fast that people don’t physically notice them happening. The speed in which the eye functions is one of the reasons Miami optometrists have special tools for examinations.
● Light is detected by the pupil, which is the black, center portion of the eye.
● Before light is able to pass through the pupil, it is focused by the cornea, which is the outermost layer of the eyeball.
● In order to ensure the right amount of light is passing through the cornea, the iris (colored portion of the eye) will expand and contract to ensure that the retina doesn’t become damaged from too much light.
● The light then passes through the center portion of the eye which is filled with fluid, known as vitreous gel, where it lands on the retina in the back of the eye.
● The retina then translates the light into electrical signals, which travel along the optical nerves that are connected to the brain.
Why Do Some People Have Vision Problems?
After hearing how the eye functions exactly, many ask why some people have problems seeing objects naturally. The most common reason a doctor in Miami Beach tells their patients that they have problems seeing objects is because of the way their cornea is shaped. If the cornea is too long or too narrow, then people are going to suffer from either near or farsightedness. This is a condition that’s easily treatable, but it’s one that millions of people deal with as they were not born with a perfectly shaped cornea. These problems are just genetic, but this is the reason why some people are unable to see objects as clearly as others. The irregularly shaped cornea causes light to land before or after the retina, blurring objects at a certain distance.
Originally posted 2017-02-10 02:29:16.