There are many cells inside your eyes that allow them to work the way they do. Your eye doctor in Miami can confirm that there are rod, cone, bipolar, amacrine, and horizontal cells in your eyes. Each of these cells play an important role in how well you are able to see and also your ability to perceive color and light. If you are interested in learning more about your eyes, then it’s important that you become aware of these cells and what they do. Also, it’s important to know how having an issue with one group of cells can affect your visual health. If you’re interested in learning as much as you can about your eyes, then be sure to speak with your eye doctor in Miami Beach about all aspects of vision and eye health that you want to know more about.
The Different Types of Eye Cells and What They Do
Those who want to know more about their eyes and how they work are likely interested in learning about the different cells they contain. Here are some things your Miami eye doctor will tell you about the different cells in your eye:
- Horizontal cells are present to help regulate and integrate information received by the eye’s photoreceptor cells.
- Rod cells are responsible for helping people distinguish light.
- Cone cells in the eye are what perceive color. A lack of these cells is what cause people to have some type of color-vision deficiency.
- Amacrine cells interact with bipolar cells and retinal ganglion cells, but many of their exact functions are not yet understood by medical professionals.
- Bipolar cells directly or indirectly transmit signals from photoreceptors to ganglion cells.
Issues With Ocular Cells
There are times when people have particular issues with the cells in their eyes, which result in various visual issues. However, the most common type of cellular trouble people have within their eyes involve the cone cells and how they perceive color. People with color-vision deficiencies can speak with their Miami Beach eye doctor about their problems to see if there are any treatments available to them. Previously, those who had some degree of color blindness would simply have to be trained to know what colors they were really looking at, but now, there are special glasses that can help people with a specific type of color blindness to see normally. As technology and time progresses, even people who are completely color blind may be able to see normally at some point in the future.